Molly Malone vs the Patriarchy

Dive into the uproarious journey of Molly Malone, spirited fishwife, who haggles her way through Dublin by day and topples the patriarchy by night. From selling seafood to sharing secrets of female empowerment, her tale is as spicy as it is inspiring. With her fish-stained apron and a cart full of cockles, this audacious heroine challenges stuffy men in powdered wigs and becomes an unexpected feminist icon. Come and revel in this spirited, humorous, and empowering tale that's as vibrant as the streets of Dublin itself. May include some sing-along components (Cockles and Mussels, Alive, Alive-oh!)!


Background: This is my first one-woman show. I'm very anxious about it, but I haven't yet begun to prepare it. 

I have been producing shows for other people to be in (sometimes for me to be in too) for more than ten years. There is a lot of hassle and heartbreak in it. So I figure I should try doing it for me. 

I have rewritten the Molly Malone / Cockles and Mussels song to include a dating profile for Molly - you can find the words here

But the show will be about me, really, at its heart. Being a woman in a man's world (mostly by choice) most of my life, and what that is like. 

There may be singing. Who knows, i haven't written it yet!

This is a singing and talking one-woman show, looking at Molly Malone's experience of being a woman in a man's world.

It's essentially about belonging and inclusion - we've all been on the margin at some point in our lives.

It includes re-worked and rewritten shanties, which I have been regularly performing at Redfern Shanty Club since 2018, some monologues and stories from my own life, and factoids that surface in my exploration of the ideas between now and September.

 

I have been producing and playing in improvised shows since 1999, but this is a rehearsed show.